Built in 1887 by August Borneman, the Johnston Covered Bridge still rests on the original abutments. At 99 feet long, it is the county’s longest covered bridge.
This historical structure features the Howe truss and two full-length windows with canopies on both sides of the bridge making the truss easily visible from the outside. In 1991, the bridge was bypassed so it is now open only to pedestrian traffic. In 1996, the bridge was restored.
The Johnston Covered Bridge is in Two Glaciers Park, which is currently under development. The public is welcome to visit the park’s two covered bridges: the Johnston and the Hanaway. Parking and green space is available at the Johnston Covered Bridge.
Directions and Map
From the corner of Main and Broad Streets in Lancaster, Ohio, go south on Broad Street about one mile then then make a slight right onto Hamburg Road; continue on Hamburg Road for approximately 4.5 miles. Turn left onto Hopewell Church Road; continue on this road for about 2.5 miles. Turn left onto Clear Creek Road; continue about 0.5 miles. Turn right onto McDonald Road. The parking lot entrance for the Johnston Covered Bridge is on the right.
The park address is 7636 Clearport Rd SW; Lancaster, OH 43130. It is located in Madison township in Fairfield county.
- a 99′-long covered bridge (Fairfield county’s longest covered bridge) spanning Clear Creek featuring Howe trusses, metal roof, and wood siding sitting on the original sandstone abutments.
- parking area
- picnic area
- open year round during daylight hours, sunrise to sunset